Tuesday 18 July 2017

I saw her sitting there


I saw her sitting there                     
Proud, arrogant almost                  
She was the first women               
In our organisation given               
A high management job              
I liked her                                          
She eyed me suspiciously            

Door open to her office                  
I walked in and sat down               
To discuss my problem                  
The window behind her                
Luckily I didn’t laugh                      
I liked her                                          
Ignored chip on her shoulder       

She was clearly on trial                 
And had to act like a man              
In this office of men                        
As we got down to business         
She relaxed just a little                   
I liked her                                          
So gradually she changed            

She would always greet me
To have a chat when we met
Even told me where she lived
And shared the office gossip
Wonder what happened to her
I liked her
And the first among many

Image found at www.dailyworth,com

This piece was first posted in 2015 to Poets United

12 comments:

  1. A wonderful read, a window into friendship shared. Warm greetings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True? I remember when NASA hired a young lady engineer to join our group. Not as boss, but elbow to elbow. We chummed some, a lot didn't. We went to a Rice U/U of Houston game. Not exactly a date, rather "I've got an extra ticket" thing. "We" lost my car that night.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woman boss...amazing how in this day and age so many men still find it a challenge..glad you made friends with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She must have been a good boss for one to remember her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guees there was a time when women felt they had to prove themselves in a man's world. I hope that is not so much the case today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a chef in a man's world and then later an engineer, I identify with the chip on the shoulder. A woman has to work twice as hard to get half the credit. Nice read and so glad you became friends

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always interesting when the boss is female :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the end of the first stanza, and how we get know (and like) the subject... and then miss her with the speaker.

    ReplyDelete