Wednesday 29 April 2020

Reading paper on the train


I once read my paper on the train
My disguise observing others there
I did try looking at the window
but my subjects caught me "en plein air"

At times a girl would lower her eyes
but most, annoyed would stare back at me,
frown, look down then face the other way
Yet others grinned like a chimpanzee

Whilst I would pretend now deep in thought
as though I was rapt in morning's news
should she offer a sweet winsome smile
rightly nod then turn to paper's views

I don't do it now, I've had my fun
Finally I found my honeybun

Image found at www.google.com


12 comments:

  1. aww, so nice to find the one in the end!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of that when I commuted in London, Robin. I always thought the men behind newspapers were reading, checking their stocks and shares or doing the crossword!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A meeting on the train is such a lovely connection that we make!💘

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I remember my people-watching commuter days, gone so long now. Thanks for reliving them for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The speaker (is it you?) was once a man on the make, but a woman changed his life. Funny how that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live in a small city ... no mass transit. Your description of passengers on trains has given me a bit of envy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you found your "honeybun". Sounds as if she was the "pick of the litter"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ☺you surely made me smile with this one Robin

    Much🌺love

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cute ending, and the enjambment is effective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmm..the newspaper as a voyeur's shield :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now if I had known that I would have taken public transport .

    ReplyDelete