Sunday 26 April 2020

I got a call


I got a call to the hospital
As old friend of mine had passed away
It 's sad to lose a mate from years past
So left my house to say my good day

Streets deserted because of virus
No, was not that which claimed old Bertie
For death had stalked him for quite some time
Matters not how he had died today

Took my mask to be on the safe side
His wife still held him by his right hand
Gave her a hug and sat beside her
I chatted to him like any day

She thanked me coming there all that way
But then she said such a strangest thing
"Glad I was able to be with him
Not like virus patients pass away"

"As he had a stroke" she now told me
For many months I'd known all along
"So he flown away without a fuss
Have the funeral next week one day"

She felt sorry for other ones there
As corona virus spread around
"I don't recall locking up my house"
"I'll sell and get place close to the Bay" 


Image found at www.pixabay.com

1 comment: