Tuesday 7 April 2020

Silver bracelet for May


When I was young but nine years old
Falling for girl made me quite bold
She was cute and had stright blonde hair
Wanted to show how much I cared
So asked my Mum if she could find
A present to show that I'm kind

Mum found bracelet she did not wear
Gave it to me without a care
So I dared to visit May's house
Knocked the door felt small as a mouse
But who should come but May herself
She was surprised seeing myself

Said "I have a present for you"
Handed it to her, no ado
May puzzled what I had come for
Thanked me and quickly shut the door
Sometimes she might wave her hand
Close contact clearly wasn't planned

Both attended towns grammar school
Plenty of girls to make me drool
May smiled at me but that was all
My love was tennis and football
That's not quite true there were some girls
With long straight hair and some with curls

Now live in a country far from there
Life's been good and life's been fair
I've loved most girls I ever met
Such feeling quite without regret
Wed once, never regret that day
But still recall that day with May



Image found at www.pinterest/images(2)jpg


6 comments:

  1. Oh, a pity your gift (like yourself) was so unappreciated. But if not, what you might have missed out on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are always a few of those long time ago romances that we recall and carry within our hearts!💘

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet poem of unrequited love :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww....I love this recounting of the sweet girl May. I think we all remember some of our very first young loves :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A sweet visit to love unreturned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've had your fair share of unrequited love, Robin, but then you started young at nine years old!

    ReplyDelete