Monday 6 April 2020

Sisters


"Wait until your father gets home"
It was my wife's mother's comment
When her two daughters acted up
By behaving like little girls
Sadly when father did get home
They hid, lest he punish them both
For they were so frightened of him

She told me this soon after we were wed
I was never punished as a child
At least nothing I did not deserve
But then I was a mummy's boy
My father a sportsman when young
Keen for me play the sports he did
Just scolded, when I did something bad

Image found at www.pixabay.com

7 comments:

  1. So if this is someone else's voice, not autobiographical? In any case, it's good that most of us (I think) have got past the first style of parenting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad only once scolded us (he was too upset later) and my sister got fever because she got too scared. My mother forbade him to ever raise his voice on us after that. She alone did the needful :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. About three, my father beat me terribly for spilling his secret about a new car. My grandmother suspected and ask me about it. Neither of us knew it was a secret.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. A familiar threat, Robin, one my sisters and I heard regularly. I’d been so used to the gentle discipline of my grandparents, my father scared me into submission. I like the way you contrast the different upbringings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A threat heard by too many which makes the father into a perceived ogre. And sadly, in some homes, the father then fulfills the statement too fiercely.

    ReplyDelete