Wednesday 1 April 2020

Being a small thing


I remember me being a small thing
When I was young oh so many years ago
All was big in my world, dad, mum and brother
First of all things suited me fine back then
Cuddled, fed, cooed and wet my diapers
Not knowing that there were lots more capers
Like crawling on the floor getting grubby
And as a wee child wetting my nappy!

These small things pass as indeed did I
Once I criedfo r milk and change of nappy
Now was brother who made me unhappy
Who saw me as one who stole his mum
So he teased me when she was out of sight
Getting me tro climb on the furniture
Once leaving me on top of the table
As getting down, I just was not able!

Lucky being small lasted a short time
At five I had to go to the junior school
But at playtimes we could all play the fool
Running, jumping just to unwind outside
Seeing the girls skip was no disgrace
And so being small was not half bad
Learning things inside and outside as well
So now then I could my story as well 

Image found at www.pixabay.com

13 comments:

  1. "As getting down, I just was not able!" Being freed from this disability was just as great as is the teen having a car of his own.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luv your adventures of growing out of being a little one😊, left on the table that's scary

    Happy you dropped by my blog

    Much❤love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah what a nice travel back in time. It takes me back as well Loved going to school and having fun I used to be the class clown

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lockdown is a good time to reminisce, childhood was a safe, innocent time, and feels like a big hug during the corona virus scare. I love the freedom that bursts out of the final stanza, Robin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely recollection, Robin!πŸ’˜ I resonate with; "Who saw me as one who stole his mum/So he teased me when she was out of sight."

    ReplyDelete
  6. A celebration of the ups and downs of being small once upon a time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Older brothers can be tiresome! Sounds like junior school was a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fascinating what we recall about being small/young. My sisters who are younger remember being terrified of 'catching' polio in the 50s and I have no recollection. Love your post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have siblings so I especially enjoyed your memories of being small and having an older brother.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautifully evoked; I was right there with you for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your pocket full of memories. Gentle, happy memories!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was the runt of the family, so I can relate and appreciate your sentiment here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This reminded me of all the small joys I had as a child. Strawberry milk warmed up to just the perfect temperature was the best thing ever to 5 year old me.

    ReplyDelete