Saturday 2 May 2020

Like most boys


We put newspaper for helmets on heads
As the spring rain drizzled down from above
But we were boys running home after school
Still splashing in puddles or finding shade
Seizing the moment and quite unafraid

No way we'd say a prayer for it to stop
Or hope that we'd quickly get to back door
Seeing the spiralling water rush down
For most boys like us lived for this moment
Whatever weather it was heaven sent

We'd never forgive ourselves missing out
The world was our oyster every day
Like all boys we did things all our own way
Now glimmering sun shone high in the cloud
Got home bedraggled and shouting out loud

Image found at www.pixabay.com


15 comments:

  1. 'Whatever weather it was heaven sent'

    I feel you captured the essence of being a boy. I used to be a tomboy once upon a time. Much simpler times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the joy of childhood and newspaper helmets :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn’t understand the saying ‘boys will be boys’ when I was a child, being a tomboy and seeing it from the inside. But as an adult, who has worked with children and has only one female child, it is so obvious. I love the familiar scene of newspaper helmets while running home from school in the rain. I still enjoy splashing in puddles, Robin! I agree, ‘whatever weather it was heaven sent’. I can picture the final lines clearly and with nostalgic longing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You took me back, Robin. great times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this line"Now glimmering sun shone high in the cloud" which sets the tone for the delight of boyhood

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robin, I hear you shouting!! Most boys and many little girls were fortunate to experience these fun things, for sure the splashing.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy are adventuresome creatures! They'll do things that most girls wouldn't think of doing. (And if that sounds sexist, sorry. Some things never change.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. "No way we'd say a prayer for it to stop"

    Gorgeous statement of innocence and creativity in childhood

    Happy Sunday Robin

    Much💛🌺💛love

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! You capture the essence of childhood days so beautifully, Robin!💘

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! Every shift of the weather magical. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a magical read, Robin. It conjures the image of those young boys-to-be-men dodging puddles! I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember these days of chasing rain and returning soaking wet to an angry mother at home. I kind of miss those days.

    ReplyDelete