Sunday 17 June 2018

A shot in the dark


Honey I heard you call in the night
I was all alone, it was a fright
I felt your breath and heartbeat
Then your scent which was a treat

Fresh flowers it was but late the hour
To visit me in this mournful bower
So many years since you had passed
Such a treat, I have been so downcast

I have much to tell you sweetest love
So much has happened my turtle dove
Carefully wrapped around with my arm
Protecting you from all harm

I awoke to find that you had gone
For me morning's sun no longer shone
I fiddled around over an hour
My bed it seems was not a safe tower

Image found at https://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photo-young-love-couple-bed-embracing-each-other-image7709

18 comments:

  1. When we remember our loved ones like this, no where seems safe anymore and you put it so well... the sun shines no longer. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, those visits in the night. If only they continued into the reality of the day. A poignant write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad indeed. Will never really get used to this I think. But time soothes as it heals


    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cruel to have a sweet visitation, and then to find it was all a dream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh this is both beautiful and heart-breaking at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such longing... made only stronger by the leaving of the sun. I can almost see him, collapsing inside, when he sees that she's gone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh the lovely visit in the night, and then the renewed loss on waking, beautiful and sad, Robin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many emotions...and that wistful last chord. A beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you brought in the scent... such a strong sensation in that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. good job with the words, creating a whole story for us

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes indeed Robin - been there, done that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The longing for a loved one gone but still lingering in our dreams and just around the edges of our reality....beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh the ache at discovering she was truly gone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes those dreams seem so real...it's a shame to wake up...

    ReplyDelete
  15. So much lovelier if dreams continued on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Was she a succabus too? Nice one.

    ReplyDelete