Saturday 8 November 2014

Dating a soprano



What a magic world
“Tripping hither and thither”
She had eyes for me

I was enchanted
The girl I had dated sang
In Iolanthe 

I adored her so
Sadly there was a problem
Yes, another beau

But as they do say
“Faint heart ne’er won fair lady”
I had work to do

We walked in the park
“On a tree by a river “
A blue tit sang

How could I not hum
“Take a pair of sparkling eyes”
When I was with her

She whispered to me
"I have a song to sing, O"
For we were in love


Gilbert and Sullivan operettas referred to:

"Tripping hither, Tripping thither" is from "Iolanthe"
"Faint heart never won fair lady" is from "Iolanthe"
"On a tree by a river" is from "The Mikado"
"Take a pair of sparkling eyes" is from "The Gondoliers"
"I have a song to sing, O" is from "Yeoman of the guard"

Image found at www.gardensafari.net

4 comments:

  1. Delightful. A 'must read' for Gilbert and Sullivan fans !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cleverly done my lad. You wouldn't have found Verdi so accomodating with his librettos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever write..li know nothing about musicals - but now I do....as long as she's not a diva!

    ReplyDelete