Saturday 29 February 2020

A bright new day


The dog's at window and watches out
At carpet of cold snow now melting
Turns to me and looks a little hurt
Curls up on the floor, now quite inert

The lounge has a piano for the kids
But my wife who's the talented one
There's a trapdoor in the ceiling
To go up there is not appealing

It's dangerous for a man like me
I like to lounge around when I'm home
Forgetting work and idle about
Watching for swallows in their hideout

The weekends can be both good and bad
I'd like to be gardening again
My wife is probably in her bathrobe
Or now sorting out her own wardrobe

Dog's curled up on the floor sleeps away
Dreams and woofs about a bright new day




Image found at https://pixabay.com/photos/serch/dog%20at%20window/

17 comments:

  1. I love the image of the dog at the window, Robin – one of my cats does the same – and the circular movement of your poem, back with the dog, dreaming about a bright new day, and a snapshot of life in between.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely warm home setting. Have a nice Sunday Robin

    Much❤love

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Arf," he says. "Coffee first," I reply. Garden, Schmarden; the green can wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a wonderful lazy Sunday... but it sounds like the dog is bored.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely lovely, Robin!💝 We need a quiet weekend every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I have dog who'd much rather be chasing the fence line than waiting for me to finish a sentence. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So adorable the image of the dog at the window. Both your poem and the dog help form a mental image of an unhurried life and a loving home, where one could just be. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This image of your dog is exactly what my Zeus does! I enjoyed the snapshot of your day 😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pleasing portrayal of a lazy winter Sunday. The dog seems to have the right idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that even in the middle of a lazy day, our speaker continues to summon the romance of his wife in her bathrobe--this is so you, Robin, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. An idyllic scene. Lucky, all who have experienced such true wealth, with the wit to value it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A new day, new experiences? Or lament not being able to repeat the past?
    I liked reading this, liked your dog find to. ..

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love bathrobe and wardrobe together and they are the paradox of my own life!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I often wonder what dogs think about when they stare out the window or to peek into their dreams.
    You give us a peaceful glimpse of a kinder and gentler day (which is always better with a dog!)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, just take that poor dog out for a walk!

    ReplyDelete
  16. a day idled away - it's important to do this once in a while.

    ReplyDelete