Sunday 23 February 2020

Childrens laughter


A trace of childrens laughter woke me from my sleep
Let my eyes open wide; no, not a single peep
My dog lay at my feet fast asleep in the shade
Where were tose kiddies that sound they surely made?

Perhaps it was a dream of many years ago
When my children raced about eyes all aglow
When I used to join in their chasey games with them
Oh the laughs and joys in those days of sheer bedlam

When Ma relished break from cooking kids licking lips
They and I would get pizzas or some fish and chips
We get it walking to the shops quite close to us
The owner knew the kids gave kids candy; a plus!

For some odd reason the shop was painted bright green
But the place was always crowded and was quite clean
There were lacy curtains on the large window front
Plus table with magazines if reading was your want

Knowing we were regulars served us well did he
When we paid and picked up order extras there'd be
By such design as this we'd always patronize
For in his shop was best service and that's no lies

It's sad to think too much of the past long ago
Bite to eat at fish shop or way my wife's eyes shone 
Our kids playing with their spears and bows and arrows
Our memories like this are our joys and sorrows


Image found at www.pixabay.com

16 comments:

  1. I love your reminiscences! Yes, the joys and sorrows intermingle, but one wouldn't be without them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last line struck me. Oh, we certainly need those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the memories you evoked here - I used to love playing hide-and-seek with my lovely little sons, and now I play it with my grandchildren.
    And those friendly corner shops - miss them too.
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so evocative. I love the memories you share here Robin especially; "pizzas or some fish and chips/we get it walking to the shops quite close to us."💝

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know well the pain that accompanies happy memories, my friend. Sigh. I can SEE you and the kids, tearing around the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Echoing others, the last line was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Precious memories brought to life .... yes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great memories and well written.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 'our joys and sorrows' … like so many things in life, the yin and yang of it all. I used to thing of the concept as - distinctly - positive and negative, but I've come to believe they are likely more interconnected than we may realize. In your poem here, for example, Robin … the level of sorrow would likely not be nearly as acute, if there hadn't been such joy. I enjoyed this poem!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is fun to look back on all those good times when one can be a child but still maintain the dignity of a guiding adult. Great use of the given words Robin!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love this glimpses of what was (and will always be in memory). This is the sort of bittersweetness that keeps the heart going.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pleasant memories abound to push those melancholy thoughts away. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  13. Robin, things and places change with the times. Remember the coffee houses, sat around the walls passing the wine bottle and reading poetry? What became of them?
    I like your store front picture.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such wonderful memories, Robin. I like the way you tied up the pieces of poem in your last stanza.

    ReplyDelete