Wednesday 26 February 2020

When a youth


Most girls I dated when a youth
Looked up to me as I was tall
I looked down on them in the nicest way

Not too good in the town's dance hall
To stare at my chest was no fun
While the other girls my eyes did survey

Found at last one girl on a par
Whose sweet green eyes hypnotized me
Lips like cherries I kissed every day

Her skin was soft as finest silk
On which I laid my weary head
"I like you Robin" said my sweet girl Faye

We dated for six months or so
I hoped it would last more that that
Sadly she sent note "Have moved away"

Was too old to have a sad cry
But I'd lost the apple of my eye
Now should I look for girl named Jay or May?


Image found at https://pixabay.com/photos/ball-opening-dance-celebration-1558666/

16 comments:

  1. She sounds like a real peach, but maybe you were looking for a hot tomato?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah...You should look for a girl called Rosemary or Cressida:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is with poets we have to be good liars!

      Delete
  3. This is incredibly sweet and poignant, Robin!๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’ I love the description; "Lips like cherries," like the saying goes 'there are plenty other fish in the sea." Thank you so much for writing to the prompt!๐Ÿ˜ƒ

    ReplyDelete
  4. To dance eye to eye and toe to toe. So much easier to kiss those cherry lips when they're not so far below. It's wonderful to find someone that "fits" and sorrowful when they have to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, if your rhyme is to continue after Faye has moved away, your next paramour needs to be Jay or May for sure...or perhaps Kay, who liked to lay in the hay on a sunny day.... oh, please stop me!! Just see what your rhyme has done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Green eyes, cherry lips...colorful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I smiled all the through .. a great feeling, good Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband is tall too, 6 foot five, and he has always refused to dance. Your poems are always bitter-sweet, Robin. I like the contrast of the ‘lips like cherries’ and the brief note – not even a goodbye! The apple of your eye turned sour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ๐Ÿ˜Šwell those names would make a nice rhymes in the scheme of poetry life.
    Thanks for dropping by my blog Robin

    Much❤love

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being such a shorty, I just come up to my husband's chest, and he's around average height. However, I find it nice to curl up to him that way and listen to his heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She sounds lovely - young love lost on a twirl across the dance floor

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed reading this one. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "'I like you Robin' said my sweet girl Faye"

    Aww. <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. "I like you Robin," who wouldn't like a nice guy like you? Tall girls are one of the items that scare me. If one gets on an elevator with me alone I get off the next stop.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved reading this, Robin. Maybe a juicy pear?

    ReplyDelete