Saturday 15 February 2020

Maisie in the park


I often sit in the park and feed the birds, tossing it to them squabbling for free pickings. I like to think their chirps are a thankyou.

Today I look at other visitors; joggers and mothers with babies. I don't wave or say hello to them or they me, we are part of the furniture like the seats and kiddie's corner, fountain, gardens and trees. Except Maisie; I am sure that is not her name, that is just what I call her. Wearing slovenly clothes she looks cross and holds an unbent coat hanger in one hand and drags her trolley in the other. The trolley is filled with bags half filled with an assortment of bottles and cans all of which can be redeemed for 10c a piece at the recycling centres. We have so little debris littering our parks and waterways as they are far too valuable! Even if you don't want the 10c, Maisie does and hundreds like her. There's an army of scavenger ants clearing the suburbs this way!

While sitting there Maisie nears the waste bin by me and using her improvised tool, fossicks for treasure in the garbage. I however notice her; she is dressed for the task. I don't think her friends would recognise her (if she had any friends!). Her hat shields her face and protects her from the sun and is held on by a chiffron scarf of doubtful cleanliness tied with a knot under her chin. Her clothes are ones opportunity shops would throw out. They are foul and her shoes are sneakers of a size that would probably fit me!

At first I would ignore her and she me. One day I noticed hiding behind her facade was a sweet face when her grimace was relaxed. In that moment I saw the real Maisie. I saw a girl thrilled at receiving her first kiss. I saw a blushing bride gazing into a young man's eyes and I saw happy tears on her face cradling her baby. I saw Maisie in a different light; doing so I got up off the bench, smiled at her and took a walk in the park.

Image found at www.pixabay.com

21 comments:

  1. A delightful walk in the park. It's been a long time since I visited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don’t have a park near us as we live in the middle of a national park, the Norfolk Broads. But I do enjoy taking my grandson to the park when I visit my daughter; he loves feeding the ducks. I remember the park close to where my mother lived before my sister moved her into a home, and there was someone like Maisie there too, with a pram full of dogs. My mother always stopped to say hello to her. I love the way you uncover Maisie’s sweet face and present her in a different light, Robin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautifully told story, and the gentle reminder to see the person under the facade is well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful well-told story and the last paragraph made my quite emotional.
    How easy it is to for us misjudge and label people who fall out of what we deem acceptable... we all have our wonderful stories and happy pasts...
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a poignant story, Robin!💝 Sometimes we just need to spent more time and observe people more closely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the signature wisdom, gentleness, and love here...I’ve missed reading you. It’s good to be back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. fossick is a word one doesn't hear often! Enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robin, this is so beautiful and full of heart. I fear having to ever live like Maisie. It happens easily enough, with rents more than monthly income over here. I love that you saw through her circumstances to that young girl starting out. What a hard ending to her story. If governments stopped subsidizing corporations, maybe they could build some affordable housing for people. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How many homeless do we walk by, never bothering to "look beneath the bonnet". This is incredibly touching, Robin. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This tags into something I'd recently listened to, about how we have few places to be out with others. A beautiful piece about connection.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that Maisie let you see her and that you see Maisie in this piece Robin--there is something so vital in that moment of connection.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A touching story. Too often it is just about taking that bit of conscious time ti see another human being

    Happy Sunday

    Much🕺🏽💃🏽🕺🏽love

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was touching...and so meaningful. A great read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A chance to see someone, not as they are, but as they once were or what they could become. You chose to see a person instead of a part of the landscape. Maybe Maise could see herself that way as well.
    Thank you for sharing and reminding us to look at one another as people.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i loved your tender story.
    we have our Maisies here too (despite being labelled a rich country), they would pile their trolleys high with cardboard pieces, and bags of cans, and resell them for some little money.
    thank you for this lovely piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This gave me a chill. I'm glad you introduced us to Maisie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A beautiful story and reminder to look beyond a first impression.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's so easy to look past strangers, especially ill-dressed and ill-smelling ones. But to look into someone else's eyes changes everything. Great tale, Old Egg!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful, Robin. There are a lot of Maisies in this world. I smile a lot, another story, and get a lot back. Some call it flirting. I love it either way.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  20. That smile said, I notice you. You are a person with a past and present life. This is gentle and beautiful writing, Robin.

    ReplyDelete