Friday 20 December 2019

Once we dreamed



"You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one"
John sang so many years long gone
How hope in our young eyes then shone

"Imagine all the people"
"Sharing all the world"
Now old, I can look back in shame
All our hopes have gone down the drain

"Imagine all the people"
"Living life in peace"
Now the world crumbles with abuse
Politicians are of no use

"I hope some day you'll join us"
"And the world will live as one"
John sang and how our eyes shone
Tears in eyes now show hope's all gone


Words in italic are from John Lennon's song 'Imagine'

Illustration from Pixabay.com

7 comments:

  1. Yeah, sadly most of the time I feel that last line. I have to think there is hope. I'm thinking of the young people of today and their energy and passion. And hoping, and imagining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way back in 1985 or ‘86 I sat in a movie theatre and as the credits rolled, John sang Imagine. The film was The Killing Fields, I sat there for quite some time sobbing. Imagine is always a difficult song for me to hear .....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I can now comment. Yay. I was inspired by John Lennon too, Robin. I remember what dreamers we Boomers were. All up in smoke now. Yet we still dream, we dream.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful weaving job you did here, Robin, if Lenon's lines into your poem. I too liked him singing that song and thought of that as I wrote my first line.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember feeling similarly listening to Genesis's Land of confusion, especially the part about "Our generation will put it right". Though these kids today, I think they may be on to something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope there is still something good in this world... I see it and I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems we hand such dreams (and possibilities) off to each new youth-filled generation... I see hope in my kids and their friends...

    ReplyDelete