Saturday 20 March 2021

When I was a young boy

 



When I was young boy, the river was my playground

I took my boots and socks off, carrying jam jar in hand

I tried to catch some little fish. Took two home to show Ma

Smiling told me to keep them, In my room to look after

 As they didn't die she smiled, Said "Take them back home

to pond in the woods". So I crossed the wire fence 

The birds there chirped away, I let them go to swim away,

Knowing it was best for them. I'll never forget those fish

I am all grown up now, Shuffling about in my old age

I'm not famous for anything, wanting for nothing

A flower in my buttonhole, Living happy and free

...like the fish.


Illustration found at www.pixabay.com


2 comments:

  1. Hi Robin, Its so nice to read your blog again. I love this little story. Its so sweet. And Im so glad the fish didnt die... I always told my kid to bring the animals he collected back home because they would want to be home and not living with strangers. I was always afraid they would die. I was looking through my old blog entries and decided to look you up as I havent been writing much and I always enjoyed your place. I hope you are well and fairing strong and healthy through these times. Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Zoe for remembering me after so long. I do hope you are still writing too.

      Delete