Wednesday 10 March 2021

Love hurts


Love really hurts doesn't it?

When she says it's best to make a break

While you thought there might be wedding cake

Wondering whether she's found another beau

Meaning that is time for me to quit


Was I too fast or too slow?

Why didn't she say what was wrong?

For just now she seems headstrong

Wonder if she met another

But she's quite clear she wants me to go


So I have to start afresh

I'll take a break and settle down

But my Ma could tell from my frown

Gave me hug saying "There will be more"

I shook my head, my life was in a mess


But she was right after all

A few weeks later met another lass

Whose bewitching eyes in class

Made my heart go pitter pat

And now each day I walk her home from school



Illustration from www.pixabay.com

14 comments:

  1. Ah, young love! The negotiation of those young years and those young loves linger long in our mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love on the rebound☺ happens. Luv your story and tge rhyme added so much more interest
    Thanks for droppibg by to read mine

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love always finds a way to go on, especially when the lovers are young. This is a good poem to share with every teenager who thinks their life is over because of a breakup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to break up when you don't have a reason. The self-reflexive nature of questioning if it was "something I did" but you can never control someone else's feelings even though they might break your own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If these love poems are autobiographical then you have surpassed all the lotharios in literature and the real world. Guinness book of records stuff. At least 3000...you will be famous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not the doing but the observing that provides the scenes I write about. Personally I was a shy observant youth that took it all in and now in my dotage the brain disgorges those people and their romances fro so many years ago to assist my writing. Plus it helps to be a liar!

      Delete
  6. I like how he finds another person after just a few weeks. Nevertheless, it does hurt to have a relationship like that end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Youth is fickle isn't it. You told nicely, I've been there a couple of times. Both times I was lied to, once single, the other led to marriage and then popped up again.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, Robin, love hurts, but it’s a delicious hurt, the kind we seem to crave, go back for me again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My theme song is Love Stinks. Been there, done that, never want to go back again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thoroughly enjoy your love-story-poems.

    ReplyDelete