Wednesday 31 March 2021

Among the trees for me

 


Trees were so important in this young boys life

It was a place where I could escape from strife

Where else to go to unwind from a day at school

Watching for birds or wading in a rivers pool

There would squirrels watching from the trees

Who were nibbling nuts, see me and away does flee

Or a wise old owl would stare down at me below

Then flap his wings and with his eyes all aglow

He was more confident than squirrel who was scared

Whereas the owl eyes on me just stared and stared

How easy it was to relax amidst all the green

And hearing the ripple of the nearby stream

I'd forgotten the lessons I'd had that day

For was now content in midst of trees was okay

Dusk was coming so I started off for home

There's nothing quite like being in woods to roam


Image found at www.pixabay.com


10 comments:

  1. Agreed - I need more forest wanderings in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin, we both had a good thing going with having our trees. I liked the contrast between the owl and the squirrel's reactions to the Writer's presence. The rhyme is good too.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the poetic glimpse of you as a boy .... cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a fabulous childhood afternoon. Heck that sounds like a lot of fun now, but I probably should take it easy with any tree climbing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes! I had some good stretches of bush (Aussie for woods) to play in too as a child, and even into my teens. How blessed we were, to grow up among the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing like the woods and those wise owl eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always feel so blessed to see an owl. Really lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like how u have mixed the first person and third person!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So true. There's something sacred in standing in a grove of tree....sort of like shaking God's hand.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your closing: "There's nothing quite like being in woods to roam" I have to agree.
    This brings back so many memories of tramping through the timber and getting into trouble.

    ReplyDelete