Saturday 27 March 2021

Io at the Star of Greece - (Chapter 6)


After our morning swim we drove further down the coast stopping at the Star of Greece restaurant overlooking the sea. I thought taking Io my star of Greece was appropriate. It was fairly expensive but Io was worth it. I enjoyed the meal and the view but everytime I asked about the purpose of her trip she evaded me. As I was driving I limited myself to just one drink but Io imbibed freely and became quite bubbly herself. 

I asked her who the real star of Greece was. She stared back at me saying "Why me of course!"

"So the constellation of Taurus is named after you then?" I enquired.

"Fancy them them naming that stupid lump of rock after me" she slurred, waving both her hands  getting agitated, trying to pour some wine from an empty bottle, nearly falling off her chair. The waitress came up and asked if we'd like another bottle, so I shook my head.

Io looked surprised "I haven't finished drinking yet" with a grin on her face leaning over me looking like she would pass out. So I paid the bill and held on to her as we left the restaurant hoping she didn't collapse as we headed to the car.

Grinning at me she said "I could drink with the best of them".

"Dionysus?" I ventured.

"Could be, I don't remember" she said stupidly.

Back at the car as I buckled the seat belt round her, Io started humming some tune I couldn't place; an arcadian air I suspect and by the time I was back on the main road she was sleeping peacefully, albeit with her mouth open.

I got her safely back home and carried her inside and put her to bed with a handy bucket by her side. Dreaming or awake she waved her finger at me saying "It was Poseidon....he can drink like a fish", laughing noisily then falling fast asleep.

Either I had been conned by the most devious bitch imaginable or she was a beautiful Greek goddess who really needed my help.

Then I heard her whisper "I'm not a devious bitch Robin, a devious goddess, yes, but not a bitch."


362 words

9 comments:

  1. Never mind about your narrator; I'm quite falling in love with Io myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoyed this episode, Robin! Io is some goddess. I love he retorts, especially "It was Poseidon....he can drink like a fish" and " a devious goddess, yes, but not a bitch."

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG the "B" word and Io heard it
    Happy Sunday Robin

    (✿◠‿◠)
    much love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin, I really enjoyed this installment. The last three paragraphs are particularly wonderful. I love Io's sense of humor, and how even in her drunkenness, she doesn't stop telling it like it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gods and goddesses can drink, i supposed.
    and wow, she can read your mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love ... love the Tipsy lo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The thought of Io's "insult" towards Poseidon leads me to believe the gods and goddesses are more human than we thought.
    This episode was a humorous read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure the Greek gods were happy to love and accept normal humans for their pleasure.

      Delete