Wednesday 24 March 2021

Dance with me

 


I must confess I wasn't good 

When dancing with my beau

Two left feet they did say I had

And I had no real way to go

So I was avoided like the plague


Luckily I did meet this girl

We'd go to the flicks or opera

And once to a weekly dance

At town called Farnborough

She found I had a fault or two


Disapppointed to say the least

I could tell it from her face

Oh please let me lead she said

I bowed my head in disgrace

But at least I steer my car


It wasn't long before we were wed

And lived such fulfilling lives

We went to dances a few times

In big halls or other dives

Where she could dance with other men



Illustration for www.pixabay.com




9 comments:

  1. Ha ha, my ballroom-dancing-champion first husband was good about dancing with me (and making me look much better than I really was) but he was always glad to get a few dances with women who could actually dance too, so that he could actually enjoy one of his favourite pastimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the ending of this one, Robin. I love that they were still happy even if they couldn't do every single thing well together. That sort of thing can really ruin a relationship... and a dance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a wonderful poem that resonated with me. I learned to dance at Arthur Murray and he learned by natural athletic grace (which I totally lacked). Somehow we managed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fun read, Robin. At your next dance ask your partner to review the Two Step with you, one two one two . . .
    It works.
    Also chose a partner with wishes like yours, just to be close to one of the opposite sex for a few minutes.
    It works.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved how you brought out the beautiful love story of yours :-) I guess you can take some lessons from her now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved how you brought out the beautiful love story of yours :-) I guess you can take some lessons from her now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This makes me giggle and cry a little too. My dear sweet husband is my ideal for so many things except dancing. He HATES to dance. But my friend who recently passed loved to dance. So we'd dance at celebrations together. One of my happy memories of her include dancing at Faeriecon (a fantasy/ fairy convention).

    ReplyDelete