Friday 5 March 2021

The entrance gate

 


I always wanted to live in the country where the wild things are and being able rove around without the crowds but with the fresh smell of nature and the sky is clear and the constant sound of traffic is far, far away. I wanted to able to sit on the porch and watch a flash of lightning brighten up the night sky as the homeward flying swifts rush straight back to their nests to feed their chicks one last time before the dark of night moving stealthily takes control. Then all is calm until the night dwellers appear silently like the owls hooting their presence and the bats swoop high and low trying to catch the remaining insects which were trying to find a safe haven for the night. As I step back indoors leaving my boots at the door my wife is busy in the kitchen preparing our evening meal, smiling sweetly at me saying “Just a few more minutes and it will be ready”. So I go to the bathroom in order to clean up and just then the phone rings and my wife takes it chatting away still as I return . “Who was that?”  I asked. “It was Jenny wanting to come and visit this weekend”.  “Oh that’s okay. It’s about time we saw the grandchildren again. I’ll make sure the chained entrance gate is clear for when she comes.”



Illustration found at www.pixabay.com


No comments:

Post a Comment