Saturday 3 February 2018

She lived over the hill

     

Says "Can I have a look too?"
I turn, see this gypsy girl
Big boots, long coat and headscarf
Hell's boots she is really pretty
And she even smiles at me

With a gulp say "Go ahead"
We can't see much but it's good
Taking turns "Look theres a clown"
So I swap places to see
She smiles at me as we change

Her eyes are so beautiful
For she keeps looking at me
And her skin is berry brown
Our heads so close as we look 
At horses and animals there

And then as I breathe her in
I feel I want to touch her
She turns and says "Got to go"
So I say "I'll walk you home"
She looks shy but nods OK

Walking home we don't say much
But her warm hand is in mine
And we both squeeze the other
Just to check we're not dreaming
Before their camp, she stops, turns

There's but faint light at the camp
She waits, so I kiss her cheek
She thinks a bit then kisses me
"I like you", she says to me
"Me too", but she has run off home

Image of Circus, Budapest, 19th May 1920 by Andre Kersetz

16 comments:

  1. This is delightfully captured, Robin!💞

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful words of young love Robin - so well portrayed.
    Anna :o]


    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely write, nice encounter.
    Have a good Saturday Robin

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have conveyed the charm of the photo really well.. there is definitely a story in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet... and so much in line with the tradition of the beautiful gypsy girl

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if they met again? I'd like to think so. Simply delightful OE.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've taken me back to when I was 15! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet and lovely This is a perfect response to the photo Robin!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way you have brought this couple to life, Robin. I especially like the old-fashioned innocence in 'And she even smiles at me', the lines:
    'Her eyes are so beautiful
    For she keeps looking at me
    And her skin is berry brown
    Our heads so close as we look
    At horses and animals there'
    and the sweet ending.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very sweet story - one wonders what comes next-- and there is a sense of forboding that overhangs even the sweetness-- Thanks for that peak into it. K.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet write Robin! I liked this story so very much. What a great time they had.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love a good gypsy poem.

    "I turn, see this gypsy girl
    Big boots, long coat and headscarf
    Hell's boots she is really pretty"

    "her skin is berry brown"

    Love the ending:

    "'I like you,' she says to me
    'Me too,' but she has run off home"

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautifully sweet...You've captured the image well.

    ReplyDelete