Friday 26 August 2016

Time travel


She is beautiful, her age is 29 and she has just lost her husband and now has their daughter (my paternal grandmother) to care for by herself. Looking at the picture I see that I have her nose and maybe her eyes and lips too (when I was younger). She died before I was born yet here (and at such a young age) she is faced with a bleak future for there is no widows pension, no family to support her or her 10 year old daughter. Her husband Frederick was an insurance agent when few people could afford to think of a future without a partner. I hope he did so but she still needed security so later married a man who managed a public house (or tavern) for a local brewery. Her daughter Maud married and their first child was my father and as a child he used to visit them then finally lived with his grandmother and his new step-grandfather and they helped to bring him up in the 1920's. I wish I had met her for I would loved to thank her for being part of me.

                                                        I see me in her
                                                 In overcoming sadness
                                                        Never giving up


Note that in her hand there is the traditional mourning card and that her clothes are typical of funeral wear of the period which she would have worn for some time.


Image of Sarah Ann Harvey (nee Hipwell) 1893

9 comments:

  1. This is such a touching and poignant haibun, Robin I too can see the resemblance, the same fiery spirit with a will to break through even the most difficult of times. Beautifully penned. Thank you so much for participating at Prompt Nights and for your constant love and support.

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing her (and your) history. Love the haiku. It's the perfect conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. This was a wonderful glimpse of your family history. You gave us wonderful words to go with her picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh bless her! What a beautiful photo to commemorate such sadness. They live on in our appreciation of their strength XXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. “Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever… it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything.” – Aaron Siskind

    Wow!! kudos Robin you nailed this one absolutely

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  6. a pleasant read...love, grit and reverence flowing in the lines...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never give up is a good family motto - should she travel in time too she would be proud of her legacy

    ReplyDelete
  8. From heart!! Beautiful picture and words!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a wonderful look back at a part of your ancestry. I love the picture as well as your words. How good it is to know here story and to see your lineage in hers and your features. Very special.

    ReplyDelete