Friday 5 August 2016

I laugh to myself


I laugh to myself
At the thought that tarot cards
Dictate my future

Like Alexander
I cut that Gordian knot
To make my own way

What is my fate?
Impotent devil is there
He's there in my past

What influence his
Greed, selfishness, no not that
Get back to the pit

Now Wheel of fortune
What have you in store for me?
Having come this far

You've favored me well
So why should I complain now
Others need your help

Ah here's the bright star
Telling an old man his future
My family's that

I have seen them thrive
So they walk forward not me
Peace be with you all

Image found at http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/learn/meanings/star.shtml

8 comments:

  1. Such a brilliant response to the prompt Robin :D I especially loved the opening lines :D indeed we are in charge of our own life may it be fortune or the future. Beautifully executed. Thank you so much for participating at Prompt Nights and for your constant love and support :D

    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. And I believe it, too. Fate is a tale we weave with our decisions and actions. The last two stanzas are my favorites. I can see the speaker grinning with all the strength of what he knows, of what he has lived...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your strength and wisdom will serve them well for the future :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. a wonderful way to write one's life with humor and wisdom...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've favored me well
    So why should I complain now
    Others need your help

    Loved this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many astute references in this poem Old Egg - most of all i love the tender love passed on and flourishing in your future - your family.. long may it be so

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the wry humor in this, mixed with the familiar hope that our family will continue to benefit from any blessings we have to share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the concept of the journey of life passing on through the generations.

    ReplyDelete