Saturday 27 August 2016

Our paths crossed that day

             

I took a wrong turn soon after I entered the forest. I could almost hear the birds twitter with laughter and an owl hooted with glee. The branches brushed against me as I struggled to find the signpost that I had left only minutes before. I tried to retrace my footsteps counting the minutes I had been there but all I found was a gurgling stream and you sitting there barefoot splashing in the water. You turned around with no surprise and sized me up and down then patted the ground by your side inviting me to do the same. What were you, a woodland sprite or a rambler just like me? Either way I was hypnotized and not counting the consequences of my actions I sat by your side. What a blessed day to find someone so beautiful whose laugh was like a tinkling stream, whose sweet voice beguiled me just like the breeze whispering in the trees and whose touch as soft as down, freeing me of all doubts that I should be part of her. Nor did I question that plate of sweet treats she shared saying "You'll never be free of me now my love".

                                              Our paths crossed that day
                                        You've made me so tall and strong
                                                    Just like a pine tree                                                                                                                                                   
                                                                                                                                                  
Image 2 found at www.shutterstock.com                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

24 comments:

  1. what a lovely woodland sprite...

    ReplyDelete
  2. a cool & breezy haibun..awww...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the magic and excitement in this poem Old Egg - if the plate remains sweet i think i would make the same choice..i really enjoy the Haibun - it suits your writing perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is like all those folklore myths of wood enchanters that will tie us down... I love how you left the question hanging if this was a fabled being or someone real (and does it really matter?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you captured a 'beguiling' sense of my imagination. this was so lovely especially in the setting of your inserted pic.

    gracias for such tender imaginings

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just sat up a little straighter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the ambiguity here--was this a true love or a trapping one. The pine tree would please me at this time of my life, but I wonder if it would when I was younger?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this, especially the gorgeous haiku. Sigh...strong like a pine tree. Wonderful haibun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an excellent haibun treat. Happy Sunday Robin

    much love...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enchanting tale of enchantment. Can equally be a fantasy tale or a fictional or real-life romance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the fairy-feel of this poem. It brought to mind Edmund Spenser's The Faerie Queene. He is trapped, indeed.

    And the haiku, made me grin... such a natural and sensual trio of lines.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely fantasy - the wonderful haiku conferring, a final mysterious note for the reader to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, the nymph of the pines has spoken to you the day your paths crossed. Wonderful writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really like the tone of joy and freedom this poem shares with the reader.

      Elizabeth

      Delete
  14. Our paths crossed that day
    You've made me so tall and strong

    How wonderful it is to be presented with a compatibility of relationships. It is most blessed Robin!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chance meetings are sometimes the most meaningful occasions of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wonderful, with hints of mysticism

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful when paths cross in this way. This poem makes my heart sing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent haibun, Robin. Sorry for the late visit, but I started back in the prepa this week. And it has been crazy!

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete