Saturday 13 August 2016

Poet's purpose


"Next! How can I help you sir, just what is the purpose of your visit?"

"I have no idea, for I have just been directed to your counter."

“Name please so, I can see if you are expected.”

“Old Egg”

“Hmm! No, I don’t see your name down here. (Then whispering)  Perhaps you should try down below?”

“Please don't berate me for I’ve already been down there and they didn’t want me either. I just write poetry.”

He stared at me carefully then asked “You’ve not been involved in any of those conflicts on Earth at the moment and all those crazy politicians down there have you? We don’t brook any of them up here.”

“No of course not, But that question was a test wasn’t it? You used the word brook alluding to the poet Rupert Brook who died during the Great War way back in 1915, didn’t you?”

“OK, son you can come in Poets are always welcome.”

                           "Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
                              And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness, 
                               In hearts at peace,under an English heaven." 

                                               from The Solder, Rupert Brook 1887-1915


Image found at www.blog.lifeassuranceeministries.org

1 comment:

  1. Such a clever piece Old Egg - i love the blend of prose and poetry and literary reference - and the picture too! Your writing seems to evolve and develop with each read.. but..please don't go knocking on any doors too soon..we need you here

    ReplyDelete