Wednesday 2 June 2021

How unusual

 


How unusual said my mother as the baby she had just given birth to was me and placed in her arms for her to cuddle. I was then whisked away, cleaned up and then placed in a cot close by as everythging was cleaned up so that all looked well when her husband, my father was invited in to say hello.

It is uncommon for the newly born to remember anything of the event as the shock of moving from a warm environment to the glaring light of day can be a shock to babies who may cry at this first separation or decide it was too bright to look at anything so keep their eyes closed and wait to be put back where the belong.

That must have been me as a I remember nothing of that uncanny period of my life all those years ago apart from being introduced to my elder brother who was aghast that someone else was going to take his mother's milk that she soon was offering me confirming that she would feed me now I was one of the family.

My brother was devastated and I recall as I grew up that at no time did he want to play with me but instead play with the other boys in the street.  That really didn't worry me as I preferred to play with the younger kids especially a pretty girl up the road.


261 words


11 comments:

  1. Nice one Robin, But i do believe the slap the nurses give them is what makes them cry. That's the wake up call

    Happy Wednesday

    Much🌷love



    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the elder who wasn't too pleased to have a little brother show up. But we learned to appreciate each other later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Memory is an interesting thing, when we are young. So are brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad that your brother denied himself the close bond that many brothers have.....a loss for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry your brother never got over that rivalry. When my younger older brother was born, the older older brother said, "I'd rather have a Buick." He was 5! They were never close, and the younger was the one with the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your memory is good, Robin. Babies must be slapped on the back so that they will start breathing. Most folk don't remember things by themselves, the adults have to keep repeating it over and maybe over.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a cute baby "apart from being introduced to my elder brother" Is that real Do you remember that? That would be amazing. My earliest memory is going to kindergarten in Holland so I must have been around 4 years old

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly my brother, nearly two years older than me was not happy to have all the attention taken away from him. By the time he was in his early 20's all that past was forgotten.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you found someone to play with in the end

    ReplyDelete
  9. A common feeling among the only child label being replaced. Good one, Robin.

    ReplyDelete