Friday 11 June 2021

Rastus and me go up the hill (Chapter 4)

 



After my old neighbor went to hospital I looked after Rastus . Sadly she did not return home so I transferred his ownership and licence with all his chattels to me and her family agreed. 

Rastus tended to love anyone or perhaps it was the smell of food on them. Already he considered my house his and had happily settled in. 

I phoned Penny who now lived up the hill a few kilometres outside the city and told her of the change. 

“Why don’t you both come up to see me this week end as I’m free?. We can have bone stew” she said laughing.

So on Saturday we drove up the hill through leafy suburbs and winding roads with new smells for Rastus to enjoy. His head was out the window and grinning with his tongue out when we went through the hills villages. 

We found Penny’s place and drove in her driveway. She came out straight away and once inside I offered her a present which was a pink silk scarf that had once been my mother's. Penny was stunned, “It’s so beautiful” she said with moist eyes, “I love pink”. Then put it on and looked in a mirror smiling  

Rastus by this time had got bored so laid down at our feet. Penny said “Up you get Rastus we are going for a walk, there’s a park close by. 

Unlike a city park this one had native gum trees, scrubland and winding trails and a freshwater lake. He chased imaginary animals yet missed a koala looking down at him. After we’d worn him out we made our way home with Penny and me holding hands and her holding his lead.

Back at her place, Rastus drank a whole bowl of water and settled down for a nap.”Would you like a drink? she asked “I have a Pinot Grigio in the fridge.”

“Well not if I’m driving, perhaps one glass.” 

Penny then said “You can always stay the night”, looking in my eyes. 

I smiled, then nodded whilst Rastus snored in his sleep.

 

347 words


10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very satisfactory visit for all concerned! Rastus comes across very lovable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A happy visit and a promising end Forgot that you were in Australia. I would love to see a koala one day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one ☺ Robin.
    Thanks for dropping by my blog today

    Much 💛love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh such an invite. It all came to life for for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a very satisfactory & fruitful outing. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dogs love car rides--and walks--so glad that Rastus gets to enjoy both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delightful interlude with a promising ending!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! I love the idea of you and Penny (and Rastus) together!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We do a lot for the sake of our pets. Can you leave and
    go home if Rastus wakes up.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's more to come of course but when the couple clearly are happy with Rastus and vice versa each should get some benefit from the romance.

      Delete