Saturday 19 June 2021

Nothing works

 

                         


Nothing works, I can endure no longer

My mother looks at me trying to help

I have reached the end of my tether

My girlfriend thinks we ought to split up

I am beyond hurt, it is hard to take

I felt I'd had a brutal stab in the back

"Let go for a walk son to get some fresh air"

Said my father getting upfrom his chair

We walked up to the woods close by to us

By way of the green fields close to our home

"It happened to me son, long ago" he said

We headed into the trees not far away

When we entered them we sat on a log

"Back then my girl did the same and it hurt

We parted and both went separate ways

I started work and then that girl phoned me

"I made a mistake" she said "I am sorry"

"Thats OK" I said, better luck next time



1 comment:

  1. It's always comforting to have someone nearby who has walked a similar path to ours. Parents often fill that role. But we do need someone. Glad the character in your poem had that someone. He'll make it. It may not be easy, but he'll make it.

    ReplyDelete