Saturday 5 June 2021

Rastus, Penny and me (Chapter 3)

 


Rastus had his big snip some time ago. So he would encourage me to check out likely girls, well that’s what I thought. In all probability he sniffed for treats. Now you might think that all food for a dog was free. You are so wrong there. Dog were fed as wages so meals at home were his due. He was quite adept at fetching things like the local paper thrown over the front fence or chasing rats in the garden. I don’t think there were many rats but he certainly made you think that. He’d stub his nose against the back door to be let out, then run up the garden just missing catching the sneaky rat. I wasn’t fooled. It was part of his act showing how valuable he was and being paid in Schmackos.                                 

I’ll mention liver treats and warn pet owners to avoid these like the plague as they smell awful. However, buying these for your pet will show that you love them.

“Who did Rastus live with now?” you ask. He belonged to the lady next door but there were many times it was necessary to take him in when she was in hospital. So he treated my home his too.

Then what happened to the girl in the park? Some good and some bad. We did meet her again a few times. The interaction was all between Rastus and her with a condescending nod to me now and then. She told Rastus her name which was Penny, then winked at me. She chatted about work, travel or her flat mates. Nothing, I could use to get any closer to her, but it was a friendship without pressure.

The day came when she came up to us and started the conversation. “Sorry.” she said. “I am leaving…transfer up the hill.”

I saw the disappointment of Rastus’s face. Whether it was the loss of the free food or the knees to place his head, I don’t know which. She turned to me, gave me a kiss and her phone number

With that Rastus gives out a moan of canine sorrow.

“It’s OK, Rastus” she said “You’re still my special boy.”


364 words

 

12 comments:

  1. Nice and very telling Robin. Rastus always a special boy methinks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoying your dog tales, Robin. I grew up having dogs around. My favourite was a pet called Shane, he was my guard and best friend in my high school days.
    A POEM ABOUT HIM HERE

    Happy Sunday.

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dog tales, such a lovely story! You've captured that elusive friendship or interaction between dog owners (or walkers so well. I always finding it interesting that the focus is almost always on the dog, as if one is invisible to the admirer. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rastus is such a lovable character, Robin. I hope you tell us more about him and his friends. And of course, if he ever comes face to face with a rat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheer up, Rastus, 'she'll be coming round the mountain when she comes...' Yee-haw. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reminded me so much of my son, who has befriended the dog of every neighbor, has no dog of his own, but keeps a stash of treats in his garage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me with the photo! Border collie? My all time favorite. I'm a glutton for punishment apparently! If I'd have been the girl in the park, I wouldn't have given you my number. Nothing personal, I'd have just been meeting you to see Rastus!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well ... I saw the disappointment in YOUR face.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't even imagine eating a rat! But the word "rat" is hidden in his name.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice! I love how you gave Rastus such character in a short piece.

    ReplyDelete