Friday 18 June 2021

Rastus settles in (Chapter 5)

 


Staying at Penny’s that weekend was a success. It was certainly that way for Rastus; he settled in as though he was home and had a contented look on his face. I hope I looked like that too, but Penny wasn’t quite so sure.

How did we both get on? Very well indeed. She was soft and beautiful and attentive and receptive to my caressing. Rastus was happy laying at our feet. When I let him out last thing at night for his final walk around the garden I said “Behave, no chasing possums.” He returned a few minutes later reporting no sightings.

Penny and I talked too. Discussing work and family and our childhood and were very comfortable in each other’s company. However at one point at a break in conversation she paused then came right out with it. “You have been hurt haven’t you, did she dump you?” 

"I would say I was jettisoned from a ship.”

“I often wondered what the difference was between flotsam and jetsam. So what is flotsam?” Penny asked.

“Goods lost from a ship accidentally," By this time I had returned to stroking her feet gently and counting her toes.

“Five, on each foot” she stated.

“Just checking.”

At bedtime she suggested I share her bed.

“What is the alternative?”

“Floor with Rastus, couch with a blanket; you can choose.”

“I have no PJ’s, toothbrush or night cream.”

“I bought a spare toothbrush, the rest you can share with me.”

We all slept well that night. It must have been the wine. Goodness knows what Rastus drank. We went for another walk in the park early in the morning. It was so different at that hour. There was a morning mist over the water on the lake and a mob of kangaroos were drinking unconcerned. Luckily I had Rastus on the lead so we steered away from them and took a circular route around the park watching the birdlife in their chosen territory.

When we got back to Penny’s place I said to her “We will give it a try then, if that is OK?”

Penny turned to Rastus saying “What do you reckon?”

Rastus looked at us both grinning at him and barked an affirmative.

Let’s hope he keeps us together.


360 words


7 comments:

  1. Nice! I'm so glad Rastus and everyone else got so well sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The all seem so content with each other's company. Who could ask for anything more?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one!!! forgetting to bring your PJs. A lovely cozy chapter.
    Happy Sunday. Thanks for dropping by my blog today

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  4. A sweet scene, and one that gives hope - finding love after one gets jettisoned from a ship can't be easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like a family has been born! I really like the way they've grown on each other. And, of course, I love Rastus barking grin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks like things are turning out right!
    i really laughed on the part of counting the toes.

    ReplyDelete