Tuesday 2 June 2020

What happened to her?


Best thing I recall about going to school
Was escaping from class and breaking a rule
Even at break times was to find a quiet place
Got my fags out to smoke which was a disgrace

Of course I got caught and got the cane for that
Detention after school for being a brat
So yes I learned quite a lot being at school
Trying to conform and not break every rule

The saddest part was when true love came my way
Tennis with girl in class happily did play
I liked her legs and looks and rest of her too
But was offered a job, so goodbye, boo-hoo!

I often wondered what had happened to her
Some years later saw her but did not confer
We smiled then nodded for a moment or two
We were both married so what more could we do?


Image found at www.shutterstock.com

12 comments:

  1. Detention is a popular medium of discipline here even in the East!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was too much of a goody-two-shoes to do anything that would land me in detention in high school. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. It takes discipline to walk away from a first love. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smoked weed in high school and got away with it. Exciting times!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes i remember detention and writing lines "the way of the transgressor is exceedingly difficult" looking back detention was as bad as having to write those lines

    Have a nice Wednesday

    Much🌺love

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gave a few detentions in my time as a teacher, Robin, but children spent time in my classroom during breaks anyway, which kind of defeated the purpose because the ones in detention enjoyed the activities I offered too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved your poem. It reminded me of Garth Brooks' song "Unanswered Prayers". Check the lyrics out on You Tube.

    ReplyDelete
  9. School was a place to not get caught. I got called to the principles office to talk with the town marshal. It was sort of okay, I had accidentally driven into a pile of dirt and pushed it all back in a the hole it came from. I was looking for my cigarette lighter and had taken my eyes off the road but I didn't tell him that. I had never been called down there before, that was scary.
    I am glad you smiled and that was all. I never had a steady until after I left school. I did run across my first steady's little brother later at a road stop in Oklahoma.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was quite good, but even I received the cane(across my palm) one time. My parents were furious when I told them, and had words with the headmaster.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never got detention because I never got caught for an infraction. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, love passes by at the wrong moment in life. Good one, Robin.

    ReplyDelete