Saturday 6 June 2020

Bert's new home



Bert sat on his retirement home bed. Everyone said how lucky he was now not having to worry about maintenance anymore and to have support close to hand. Bert thought differently as he was most reluctant to move. "Yet another nail in the coffin" he said to his daughter June. She had merely shaken her head as he stared out the window as other oldies sluggishly pushed their walkers down the footpaths.

She thought of letting her dad stay with her but when she mentioned it to Jim her husband frowned and shook his head as her dad was quite argumentative and interfering. No he would be happier here...she hoped.

Bert now moved from room to room checking them out; "Thirteen seconds" he muttered "And the grand tour is completed." He sat in his favorite chair and picked up the newspaper for the umpteenth time that day and moaned "There must be something else I haven't read". Just as he was thinking of screwing up the paper and throwing it in the bin the bell rang followed by a knock on the door. So he got up opened it and in front of him was a smiling Indian girl.

"Hello Mr. Daly, I am your cleaning lady, we will come to your place each fortnight to do the cleaning. We will come every other Thursday". 

Bert just stared at her, so she lowered her eyes. She then said "My name is Deepal. You do not have to leave when we come, it's up to you". She paused then added with a smile "We  can clean round you".

Bert was still looking at her, he thought she was beautiful and her eyes were kind and discreet. He opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out, so just nodded.



Illustration found at www.pixabay.com

12 comments:

  1. That is exactly what an Indian cleaning lady would say. Bert doesn't probably still feel lucky but maybe there is a glimmer of sunshine. Well written piece

    ReplyDelete
  2. When one door closes.... !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I visited my mother in the care home, I felt a powerful twinge and vowed to not end up in a care home. Retirement homes are slightly different: he has his favourite chair, a little more freedom, and no locked doors. I was feeling sorry for Bert, but then thought that having someone to clean and tidy for you is a bit of a luxury. Maybe Deepal will be company for him once a fortnight, an occasion to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Rajani, "When one door closes, another opens.." A poignant write, Robin!💝

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Kim, I began by feeling sad about Bert's situation and slightly frustrated with the daughter and son in law. Then I put myself in Bert's choose--I wouldn't want to be in a place where I wasn't wanted, where my own family will be looking at me like I'm in their way.

    I like the promise the exchange between Bert and Deepal brings to mind. Bert might have something to look forward to, and he will have two weeks to get ready for it. And if Deepal likes stories, she'll be in for a treat.

    More than anything, I love that Deepal reminded Bert that he still have some choices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You capture so much feeling in few words--I feel the two of them could be great friends--

    ReplyDelete
  7. This write hit close to home for me. I gave up my home and now live with my son and wife, still with a modicum of independence, but with help at hand when needed. I try my best to be unobtrusive!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As others have said, a moving and ultimately hopeful tale, well told. (I just wish Bert was internet-savvy too.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. if Bert was internet-savvy he would have so much fun but yeah, always good to make a new friend. nice write.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I felt a deep sadness reading it, until the end gave me a smile. This is lovely Robin!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This reminds me of a retirement community nearby and I want to make a reservation to live there someday.

    ReplyDelete