Tuesday 9 June 2020

Groovy Music



Trad Jazz was favorite when I was a youth
Groovy music with cute girls that sang
Stomped my feet with a beer glass in hand
Ottilie Paterson in Chris Barber's band

At first the venue was on top floor of pub
Crowded right out to enhance the feel
So popular was this Friday gig
They had to move to hall that was really big

I didn't drive at that time, that came later
Me and mate got lift in old Ford van
Dropped us both off after a nine mile trip
Getting home to have a long drunken kip

I survived the booze and the drunken ride
I bought Barber's records now long gone
Grown up and have normal life style
But still dream of my wild youth once in a while



Image found at https://www.chrisbarber.net/band-1957-1957.htm

10 comments:

  1. I do love trad jazz myself – and also several among the selection of styles Sanaa compiled for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love the portrayal of Jazz culture in your words, Robin!💘 Especially; "Crowded right out to enhance the feel/So popular was this Friday gig/They had to move to hall that was really big." I can picture it. Thank you so much for writing to the prompt!💘

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done, Robin! I remember trad jazz in pubs and other venues. My friend's dad played piano in Kenny Ball's Jazz Band, and we accompanied him to German gigs when I lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dream of my wilder days sometimes too, LOL, then remember that often I'm happier for calm moments of quiet these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very vividly portrayed, days of youth jazz and energy
    OMG how i luv that dress in the photo posted

    Happy Wednesday Robin

    Much💖love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothin' finer than late night jazz in a dimly lit venue. I've been there more than a few times. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a little jazz joint in my city that will take you back to those times! It's such fun to revisit our "wild" youth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love how who resurrected the atmosphere with trad jazz in the background :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Music always returns us to our youth. This is truly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Music tells our life stories...I often wish for the energy of my youth.

    ReplyDelete