Friday 12 June 2020

Australian bushfire


I drove up north following the coast road
On the left were ore ships heading for harbor
This was my homeland, sea, barley and mines
The heat of the sun and choking bushfires
Our great homeland of which no Aussie tires

I turned at a junction to cross the hills
A whiff of foul smoke now enters the cab
Somebody's paddock or trees were ablaze
Must be new, local radio's said no words
The grey sky is now full of fleeing birds

I muttered a curse, I'll turn the truck round
Look in mirror and begin to shudder
A few worried words now form on my tongue
Really must be incredibly brave
I hope it doesn't lead to nice warm grave

Paused for a second then did a U-e
And drive back to find some much lower ground
With no trees and paddock devoid of growth
So I am parked close to dried out stream
As soot rains down like impossible dream

At least there's nothing to burn but the dirt
As twigs now fly around without a care
Local radio tells us to vacate area
Too late for me so I'll take my chance here
With reverence I say a quick prayer



Notes: Bush or forest fires are known as wild fires in the US
            A 'U-e" means turning a vehicle around in the road
            Paddock means field or land meant for grazing animals

Image found at www.pixabay.com

No comments:

Post a Comment