Saturday 16 May 2020

Being grateful to Enid


I will always be grateful to Enid
A dear friend I had for three years at school
We smiled in the class and then off we dashed 
At days end as we could both fly away
Rubbing shoulders talking of many things

Perhaps really were far too close in fact
When we both left school at three forty five
Then some irked parent complained to the head
So we in future we took the lesser lanes
I was offered job by one of school's board

So I flew away from that loving bond
I often wonder what came of my girl
Who won her heart that I dearly cherished
We had talked of art and played tennis too
And ballet which she hoped to do one day

I am sure she had the grace to perform
Once I had left we were but scattered leaves
Never set eyes on her ever again
My life then took a different route
It was my fault I let such bounty go

I still remember my last kiss with her
When she got in her dad's truck
Sacks of potatoes 
In the back


Image found at www.Pixabay.com



18 comments:

  1. I love the ending of this story poem - we all need an Enid in our lives

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great memories. I, too, liked the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the 'scattered leaves' image.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the end, potatoes count for more than any lost relationship, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The nostalgia sing sweet and clear in this one, a heart-nudge towards those young loves that got away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a fun poem to read, I liked your tale of two school chums and their separation to stay. Facebook asks the ladies to include maiden names. I can't find one I really would like to see how she is doing. That was before cell phones and social networking. Maybe she's too happy to be wanting those.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. "we were but scattered leaves,".. this is such an evocative image!💝

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lost love and memories from a sack of potatoes. An interesting sport for a last kiss.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful memories. I wonder...is she the one that got away?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the feel of this--tender and poignant--it makes the loss more difficult I think--

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our lives and the people in it do scatter like leaves. Some come back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. social media has been useful in uniting all those scattered leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great memories Robin, luv the spicyness of reckless youth in that kiss among the potato sacks, stuff for an interesting painting

    Thanks for dropping by my sumie Sunday

    Much💚love

    ReplyDelete
  14. We all have our Enids, don't we?
    reading your poem brings back all these memories. In school i once knew a girl who had the same interest as me, art and drawing, and we had many happy times together, but once we left school, we were like "scattered leaves" (can't help quoting you). maybe one day i will write about that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. We need those memories, those splashes of people who changed us, made our lives more coloruful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i liked the story within your poem there, O.G. reminds me of my teenage days where some of my friends just walked away for the rest of life, never knowing when we'd ever cross paths again. these were friend classmates not love friends like yours though. great write!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those potatoes really get around! I've seen them on three different blogs today. This is unlike Enid, who seems a more steadfast type. Lovely poem!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a wonderful, wholesome memory of a loving bond.

    ReplyDelete