Friday 22 May 2020

When my brother died


When I was but a skinny boy
Told by Mum to go play outside
Boys love fields, woods and runny streams
For that was playground of my dreams
Great times in oak and poplars shade
Amid sun's shiny rays unafraid
Or climbing trees to view the world

My favorites were running creeks
Shedding shoes and socks wading there
Or resting against maple tree
Watching birds happy as can be
The whisperng wind highin the trees
Now sounding gently on the breeze
While I'm by its roots safely curled

I feel I am now part of the earth
Safe from these wartime days of fear
Mum's now weeping for son now gone
Just how long will the war drag on?
While here I in the woods abide
Mum sits there mute crying inside
There'll be a service flag unfurled



Note this not autobiographical except for me playing in the woods!

Image found at www.familyhistoryact.org.au

3 comments:

  1. Such a touching write - if only days could remain innocent and full of birds and sunshine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see that young boy, leaning against a tree, listening to the birds. Lovely, Robin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've depicted an all-too-common occurrence in our world: wars that leave families bereft. Will the madness never end?

    ReplyDelete