Wednesday 20 May 2020

The girl at the window



I looked up at the window
She was looking out at me
This happened each day now
Be it sunshine rain or snow

As I walked my way through town
To my job as office boy
There was no smile or frown
She didn't speak just looked down

I grinned once to say hello
But still her face said no words
Even waved so she would too
But her eyes just faced the view

Wondered what her story was
But never did find the truth
Guessed she was about my age
Named her my girl in a cage

Then one day she was not there
That hurt being fond of her
Felt like knocking on front door
I liked her and wanted more

T'was weeks before she returned
When I saw her, waved my hand
She noticed waved back at me
Truly I was filled with glee

Later she pointed to front door
Nodding for me to ring bell
When I did her mother smiled
Took me to her only child

So daughter Anne talked to me
Told me she'd been very ill
But loved that I'd waved at her
Now alright to visit her


13 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this story in rhyme .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting tale. Now I want to know the "rest of the story"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kindness persisted, that was quite a nice poem. Happy Wednesday

    much💝love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin, I am glad for those last verses. I had envisioned a cold hologram positioned there.
    p.s. I did not post my painting as I thought my juvenile readers, family and others, might not be ready for all this, it was the one of the lady holding an apple, one breast revealed. I now have her name linked.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet the speaker's heart filled with warmth when he found out she wanted to see him just as much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a most intriguing account, Robin!💘 I so love the tender romanticism in this poem. Thank you so much for writing to the prompt.🥰

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your tale and love the happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The image you chose offers up so many possible tales, Robin, I like where it took you and love a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Admiration from afar, leads to a new friendship. How sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a tale you weave, all based on a painting done so long ago!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Admiration from afar now can be one of closeness...love it

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh that's wonderful indeed! great to know of your youth days and the princessy maiden in the window. great write!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love from the window of your heart. Beautiful, Robin.

    ReplyDelete