Saturday 21 March 2020

The pub in town


I went back there again
To the place I was born
The village with a church on the hill

We walked everywhere there
Until I got a bike
A present after I had been ill

Then I rode everywhere
Train station was the best
To see steam locos to my fill

Me standing there smoke drenched
Writing numbers on a pad
That was my life until I met Jill

With her black polished shoes
And tank top that she wore
More like me than a girl with a frill

Together until our teens
Riding bikes one fine day
She said words that really made me ill

She was leaving our town
Better school, better stores
Those things really gave her a thrill

So I lost her; she's gone
Teen love hurts quite a lot
Until spring came then I met April

Her dad ran pub in town
Often left on our own
Parents in bar, we kissed to our fill

Image found at www.pixabay.com

11 comments:

  1. They do say that when door closes a window opens into April. All right, so they don't say exactly like that. But they should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those we have kissed are the ones that are most missed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...and I'm sure April thinks of you! Such a gentle reminiscing poem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. “With her black polished shoes
    And tank top”

    I love her outfit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going back always gets those memories going, Robin, especially the place where you grew up: first bike, first love, first kiss…

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! I needed a happy ending story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet memories are especially good in times like these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. More of your sweet stories, thank you!

    ReplyDelete