Saturday 7 March 2020

On losing your girlfriend


I don't say we were intimate
We were just friends that loved to fight
Scruffy me I poked my nose at her
Watching from our upstairs window
As she rode on her new bike
She snarled out "Tiresome little tyke!"

Anything to upset the game
Don't know who was the first to blame
Days of yesterday were quite fun
But all changed in the teenage years
Held hands walking back home from school
Talked and smiled not playing the fool

We were great pals that moment on
Then saw her eyes no longer shone
But looked at anything but me
While I was quite unaware
In those great days of yesterday
Foolish me saw not slow decay

She chose to date another man
I woke, I was in the dustpan
With someone precious, keep them safe
Or else you find you have lost her
One who you've loved whose eyes did shine
You're heartbroken like I with mine



Image found at www.https://pixabay.com/photos/bicycle-riding-on-a-path-4358893/

17 comments:

  1. Another telling and poignant tale of love and loss - as you often serve us up, Robin. And yet told with such spirit!
    "She chose to date another man
    I woke, I was in the dustpan"
    Great line -made me chuckle...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your disappointments and heartbreaks never held you back Robin, and I’m glad they didn’t, otherwise you might not have written about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a poignant tale of loss - but still you believe in romance (which is good!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Total bummer, man. Still...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I resonate strongly with this one as I sit back and recall past loves and relationships 💝

    ReplyDelete
  6. Childhood sweethearts always hold a place in memory even though bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those things we overlook and then see too late! A resonant story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a tale told in so many ways by every boy... but maybe in the end, we wall find our love elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is so much pain in seeing those eyes no longer shine for us. So much loss... Still, I'm with Björn, in hoping that we all might find our love--the one that always shines for us--in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing sadder than eyes that no longer shine at us - but I guess this is a rite of passage in eventually finding The Right One.
    I remember those sad days...
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  11. Most likely a lesson learned by every 15 or 16 year old boy! Falls under the category of growing pains! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, a sad/sweet story. So often these early loves don't last, yet are fondly remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is both positive and sad. A caution to the reader to appreciate what one has before it is lost.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Teen days you win some, lose some.
    Happy ypu dropped by my sumie Sunday today Robin

    Much❤love

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh the bittersweet days of adoloscence!

    ReplyDelete
  16. those painful moments are part of growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That happened to me also. A sad day but turned out there was more.
    ..

    ReplyDelete