Saturday 14 March 2020

By Candlelight


We ate our meal by candlelight
Our first date was such a delight
She chose to drink a chardonnay
Her eyes sparkled hip hip hooray
But made her drink water as well 
To rescue her from a drunken spell

She ate her food which was quite fine
Her eyes were always fixed on mine
And not on some faraway place
Worse still to be sick, what a disgrace
Or doing something quite unseemly
She was instead chatting freely

The important thing she was fine
I was quite proud she was mine
Show her off to my mum and dad
They will be pleased not cross or sad
That she's someone I can be proud
And shout out from hilltop quite loud

As we walk back to my sedan
We both glance and smile as we can
Really want to sleep with this girl
She so much like a precious pearl
As she holds on tight to my arm
She says "Tell me about your farm"

Image found at www.pixabay.com



18 comments:

  1. Love how you keep coming up with these real life love story poems!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess farm talk has possibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a sweet tenderness evoked by your poem, Old Egg. Precious memories?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautifully emotive, Robin!💖 I love; "Her eyes were always fixed on mine and not on some faraway place." So romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an imaginative ending - and romantic as always

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting rhyme pattern. The narrator's happiness leaves me feeling happy too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A poetic reminisce. Writing poetry is good life therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The "hip hip hooray" made me giggle and join in the cheer. I really like how he is not only enjoying the moment, but also looking after her. And the fact that she's interested enough to think about his farm turned my giggles into loud smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, she is interested 😊. Tell her about your farm

    Happy Sunday Robin

    Much❤lovd

    ReplyDelete
  10. Methinks your lady is lucky to have such a romantic for a husband! Your poems always leave me feeling happy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I long the ending. It intrigues … as to what comes next … and yet it is so very authentic and human. A pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This made me smile and I so need to find smiles these days!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes, please show me your etchings.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Tell me about your farm." That must have been some conversation. I appreciate your many verses for your One. They seem to make everyone smile.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope she's as good as she looks & not a gold-digger!
    Take care! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I remember quite a few crushes on "farm boys". sigh

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh the passion.....it shines right through :)

    ReplyDelete