Thursday 1 October 2020

Flowers for the boy who cared


I once knew a boy who cared

Even though he was impaired

Playing in the garden with his dog

Or by the fish pond and found a frog


Boy did have a sheltered life

But was given a pen knife

Like ever other boy I knew

A turtle was put in the pond too


He'd watch his pets with delight

And Dad read him a book at night

His Mum would urge him to walk with her

He tried his best and did not demur


Each diversion helped the boy

Happily played with every toy

His eyes sparkled at every find

But the disease he had was not kind


Image found at www.colorbox.com

11 comments:

  1. Oh my aching heart this is poignant! Such souls are rare these days. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect photo for the poem! I enjoy the image of a young boy's eyes sparkling with new finds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The parents did a good job of making the boy’s life happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heartfelt poem, no kid should go through such life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sad ending! I love when kids are by nature kind to nature and all its creatures, and I think most of them are. They learn the cruelty from the adults.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful sentiments fill this poem. A sad ending, but such compassion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The opening line just grabs me: "I once knew a boy who cared" and sets the tone so well. Having written a similar poem at 13 when my next-door neighbor died, I brought all those feelings into the reading just now of your words. This is high art, when you can invite your reader to come on the healing journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving parents, nature...all good things for the best possible outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely story but sad ending. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sobering ending to such a beautiful story

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is devastating when a good life is destroyed by sickness.

    ReplyDelete