Wednesday 14 October 2020

She smiled at me

 


I met her in my last year at school; she smiled at me as I walked her home. And so it became a habit for us both to meet and play on the tennis court just a short walk from her house. I liked her curvy legs and that she played so well. So I didn't mind when she won the game. But it all went wrong when I finished school and got a job in town. She didn't seem so close anymore and suggested we take a break as she was taking her exams. Just after that was the last we ever met as she found a job in the city forty miles from home. This was more than sixty years ago and my life took a varied course. I never saw her again but after both our partners died just a few years back she found me on Facebook so we kept touch each on the other side of the world. Then I got a message from her daughter who told me that my old flame had passed away. Clearly her mother probably felt she should let me know that all these years she still loved me too.


What is the price of love

When you have a broken heart

As she turned you down?




 

9 comments:

  1. Sad to lose her twice ... but then, also lovely to find each other twice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will the friendship continue? An exchange of smiles is my favorite flirt beginning. Makes one heart desire and dream blinkity winkity.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice haibun Robin.
    Stay safe

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some say love is priceless, but those who have loved know that there's always a price to pay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's sad that she was lost twice, but it also is nice that she was found a second time, even if it was only briefly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice that you had a reconnection and a sort of coming full circle before she passed on to what comes next. Perhaps in the next lifetime???

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess we have to take the pain along with love and relish both. Since it just means we deeply cared. nice haibun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These words gave me chills and memories of something similar that happened to me. I will forever remember that love ... the love we somehow missed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our broken hearts mend enough to love again, so we have that at least. We do remember the first though.

    ReplyDelete