Wednesday 28 October 2020

My secret affair

 


"How did you get on?" he asked

"She's married my dear fellow" I answered

"What difference does that make" he replied

(Three lines from Balzac;s short story, Domestic Peace)


...and so it was from that day on

I had a secret affair with her

A polite grin at first from me

And then her sweet smile in response

Meeting by chance at the town fair

Blushed when I pointed to a cafe

But in the end she did agree

So much more of her I did see


Eager to show me where she lived

Not long she took me home with her

Lead me around to show me all

'Til we both gave each that first kiss

That commenced our pure love affair

That lasted to the start of fall

We parted one day at the fair

...husband guessed; that was end of me


Illustration from www.pixabay.com


14 comments:

  1. A secret love won and lost. You are such a romantic, Robin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, you just gave me an interesting insight – that we cannot lose something unless we have first found it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good trigger for solid work. Salute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your are definitely the bard of romance. Bravo on your found poem

    Happy you dropped by to read mibe

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those three lines you chose ~ perfect entree to the poetry you wrote!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful choice and wonderful poem. Also I love the photo of the fair!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some things are just not meant to be. Still, the memories remain. For better or for worse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Her line to me was, "Would you like to come in for some coffee?" I don't forget her, her pitch later that evening was, "would you like to take the Mensa test?"
    What I know now, I still may seek to join, if I can retrieve my Army AFQT score, it was 100 Percentile. Perfect for Mensa.
    I've lost track of her now, even forgotten her name. She was a perfect "fix-him up" blind date.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yet another very clever approach to this week's challenge. You spin wonderful tales, Robin!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes all we get are moments, and only we can decide if that is good enough

    ReplyDelete
  12. A witty and clever poem, Robin. As always, you remain the romantic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fairs come and go... and so do, I suppose affairs :)

    ReplyDelete