Saturday 10 October 2020

I heard the freight train whistle



I heard the freight train whistle in the dead of night

As across the rooftops it seemed to scream with fright

Looked out from from my window and gave owl a surprise

He blinked at me then flew off with wide glaring eyes

Silently he swooped off through the darkened trees


Tried to get back to sleep to close my weary mind

Dulled with mourning, losing friend who was always kind

We both married other partners much later on

But still it hurts to know that she too has gone

We both went to the same school; and walked her home too


Soon we were both married to loves of our varied lives

Crowded Britain lost us, went 'downunder' to thrive

Sailed to Australia to work and raise family

This was good as weather here is rarely chilly

However it's large, so always warm somewhere


Am old now and my body's sagging to be sure

I looked back, how fortunate we were so secure

No other country margins us, the sea is our border

So being here always has been such a bargain

Visit when you can, there is always a beach to swim



2 comments:

  1. Yes, being an island certainly has helped you. Although, it isn't our (US) location that is our problem. The news of a lost friend, or just familiar name, someone we went to school with perhaps, from our past is hard, especially as we get older. I love your first line. That sound in the middle of the night is such a sad one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderfully you let the memories flow - both sad and comforting at the same time

    ReplyDelete