Tuesday 6 October 2020

The second of two


I was the second of two

Which was sad as a wee lad

I was bad news for my bro

He bullied me so I was sad


If Ma would see the fine day

"Off you go my little ones"

She would send us out to play

Brother jumped and broke my arm bone


Soon worked out he's enemy

Chose my friends as he was bad

Once left me high in a tree

Other kids came so I was glad


Broken bones and bruises too

Soon taught me to choose my mates

Saw him at home; outside adieu

So left him at the garden gates


We both grew up quite apart

He teased me when we were home

But different schools for a start

Then later, off I went to roam


Saw little of him for years

He wed twice to stunning girls

Both brides ended it with tears

That's life as it's all twists and twirls


But I still remember him

And the girls that he let go

Shouldn't have chose a life grim

Just started so wrong years ago 



14 comments:

  1. Such difficult memories woven together with great aplomb

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand the sentiment in your poem, Jim. I have a younger sister like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people it's best to walk away from even if they're family. But it's sad that they are their own worst enemies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some families are like that. Sad, but just because we're related doesn't mean we'll be friends. I have two much older brothers, and one managed to alienate every single other family member, so he's alone now. Healthier for the rest of us. Sad for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is sad, but good write,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some souls persist in getting in their own way. One always wonders often how siblings can be so opposite. Great poem, Robin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes its lije that, sad but happ you got the chance to walk away

    Have a nice Wednesday

    Muchđź’–love

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brothers have been at each others throat for ages, since Adam and Eve's sons, Cain and Abel. One killed the other. I like your rhyme, I've pretty much abandoned them for conservation of time, you please us with many.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. These rivalries happen often but then some stay forever. Well rendered and felt too familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An interesting write, as the oldest of three girls (have to confess I felt superior) we remain connected and the best of friends well into our 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a middle child... That alone says a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's an old Jewish saying...
    blood is thicker than water
    and so is chicken soup!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Society sells us all these images of happy families, so it can be really hard to face up to the truth that a family member can be a really toxic human. Letting go is an act of compassion we owe ourselves in that case.

    ReplyDelete