Thursday 10 September 2020

Me and Mrs Kidd

 


I lay in bed body prone

As I remember days long gone

While working on a dredge at sea

Crewman fell over, I did see


Spinning round in our wake

So called "Man over" for his sake

But he had drowned there was no doubt

Dredge now slowed we had to get him out


Crew murmured "Is that John Kidd?"

Water surged around us as we did

I was standing on the bulwark

Luckily it was not yet dark


Just thought John was newlywed

Had not long left his marriage bed

Found the heart of such lovely lass

What did he do that was so crass?


Spinning round in ice cold sea

His luck ran out as all could see

I'll be the one to tell his wife

Was there much sadness in his life?


So it was I called on her

She asked me in, I did not demur

Chatted with her to help her plan

His faults not told, she held my hand


Image found at www.pixabay.com

13 comments:

  1. A sad and somewhat intriguing tale. I'd love a Chapter 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A tragic tale, Robin. I can imagine the crewman spinning around in the icy wake of the dredger, the water surging, and the chill of realisation settling on the crew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good that the narrator could be of some comfort in this time of tragedy. Often, people just don't know what to do when tragedy strikes. Letting someone hold our hand, or holding someone else's hand is a simple act, but so meaningful in times of grief.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a sad story. Like Rosemary, I wonder if there is more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A sad tale Robin, luv the use of rhyme which you do so well
    Happy Sunday

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the tragic shanty. I appreciate the word choices like bulwark and dredge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a responsibility to be the bearer of dire news, no doubt a lingering memory for you. Alas, young Kidd, and his life ended all too soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a sad tale. And as much as I'm glad the widow has a helping hand, I don't envy the narrator's position. Telling someone their loved one is gone is never a good place to be in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my .... to be part of something so horrific. Your poetry somehow made it less tragic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The weight of one who must carry sad news fills this poem. Beautiful writing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well told! The rhyme and cadence work beautifully with the nautical notes. And what an intriguing finish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's always something sad about a death at sea.

    ReplyDelete