Wednesday 16 September 2020

As lovers do

Last Sunday when I wrote about "Me and Mrs Kidd",  Rosemary was hoping for a sequel. So before I forget all about it I wrote it; so here it is!



We held hands as lovers do

She then looked me straight in the eyes

When I did check on her each week

And whispered "You know I like you"


She thanked me "I'm glad you come

To see if I'm safe all on my own"

Not knowing that I was quite struck

Making sure she was not upset


Must confess I fell in love

She smiled at me every day

Thanked me for every gift I brought

When I left gave me kiss with thanks


Saw her not on trip away

Was three weeks gone as I recall

Dredging estuary some miles off

So anxious to see her again


No answer when I rang the bell

No message under the door mat

Even climbed over the garden gate

She'd gone so knocked on neighbors doors


They shook their head in surprise

Hadn't seen or heard for some time

So off I went to my place

Saddened that all had come to naught


Weeks late I got some mail

From her sister from way up north

"John Kidd's wife had died" she did write

Must confess I cried long that night




10 comments:

  1. It is so hard when we don't get to say goodbye. I completely understand those long tears...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad for not being able say goodbye.

    Stay safe Robin

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad your wrote the sequel ... we needed to know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting the word that one we loved and admired has died is always a hard blow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh, that's a sad sequel. But thanks for writing it. As Helen says, we needed to know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so sad, Robin, it made me shed a tear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A tender love story... I think happens more often than we know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sad ending indeed. I lived that life for over a year. Then she was gone, her former boyfriend was home from the wars and she went back to him. Sonetimes i wonder if she'd have accepted my proposal.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Partings are inevitable, but how sad it is when we can't even say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete