Wednesday 9 September 2020

A Phoenix must burn


 All kids are much like the Phoenix

They learn by burning their fingers

One way or another

Which upsets their mother

It is part of the rite of growing up


Playing with fire I remember well

That urge to make something flare up

On open fire somewhere

And with such little care

Then crying our with pain and won't shut up


Guy Fawkes day such a tempting night

When November 5th flames abound

Cracklers spark and rockets fly

High in the darkening sky

Dogs are scared they will keep their barking up


Mind you dogs like to lie by a fire

Has the best place 'til cat come in

Insists taking pride of place

Singes fur pushed out of room

She miaows at door and will not give up



11 comments:

  1. There is so much more to the fire in your poem, cosiness, continuation, awe

    Nice one Robin

    Much💓love

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to enjoy those Nov 5th fires too,in my childhood in Tassie. The neighbourhood dads would create a big fire and all the families would stand around, rugged up, kids holding sparklers or letting off crackerjacks....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was never a one for playing with fire, it scared me, and Guy Fawkes Night was OK as long as we were safe in my grandparents’ garden with sparklers. As I got older, I was worried by the threat of bigger putting bangers through the letterbox or the bonfire getting out of control. I much preferred to be safe inside and watching fireworks through the window. Like my cats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. H.O.T write, robin. Salute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting burn--and learning from, one hopes--is certainly part of growing up. And like your poem says, not just for the children. It takes a special kind of parent to know when to intervene right away, and when to allow the child blister a bit.

      Delete
  5. I was always fascinated by fire. But was always told never to play with it. Learning to light campfires and holding sparklers was enough for me to understand the power it holds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of us will only learn when we feel the fine hairs on our arms begin to singe...and some won't even learn then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have feared fire for as long as I can recall .... your Phoenix poem is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a comforting and peaceful scene, and your words are the same, much needed for me at this particular time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brings back memories, Robin. Nice write.
    I've been teen to a couple of Guy Fawkes Night bonfires, I didn't know the Aussies did that. Also, my sister and I used to play with matches but never burned anything bad or got caught.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Guy Fawkes Night bonfires were in London in the 00's. I have a few pictures o my other active blog.
      ..

      Delete