Friday 9 July 2021

Rastus and us at the beach (Chapter 8)

                                          

All the effort that Rastus and I had made to win Penny overshould have done us some good. Everything was fine, when she said she had a day off we would visit or she would come to us; a happy band of three in love. Penny loved Rastus , Rastus loved Penny and me and I loved both Penny and Rastus. Penny seemed uncertain about me though; she appeared to be holding something back. She guessed I had a previous relationship and worried that may repeat itself.

She came down for a sleepover as she called it; not expecting to have much sleep together! What bliss it was to wake in the morning finding the person you loved curled up next to you. I'd kiss her tummy and she'd run her fingers through my hair then hug me tight. We were so bonded in love and inseperable. However it was clear she was not entirely happy; I must have been doing something wrong.

We three went down to the beach early Sunday morning. It was deserted and Penny slipped off her sandles and paddled at the edge of the water. Rastus checked out the scuttling crabs and any washed up fish. Penny walked along paddling in the cool watersinging some happy song but I couldn't make out the words. I was fossicking for perfect shells or smooth pebbles to take home and put on a shelf. 

When I turned round Penny and Rastus had already turne round to sit by the dunes and have a rest. I called Rastus; he looked up but didn't come to me. My mind suddenly clicked. She had given herself to me but I hadn't done the same with her. Clearly she had been hurt and I hadn't realized. I started running up the beachand they looked up seeing me. I said "I'm sorry I've been blind to your pain as you have had a breakup like me."

Penny reached forward, gently touching my face, I said "I was near to losing you wasn't I?"

"I'd not given up" she said, but you came close. Rastus said stick a lttle longer".

 

369 words

8 comments:

  1. Wow being sensitive sure paid off this time
    Another happy in love chapter.

    Thanks for dtopping by my blog today

    Much💜love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh romantic and indeed great for him te be tuned in and sensitive. Wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder why she didn't just tell you that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Relationships are hard. Glad they both are sensitive to each other and honest with themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness for Rastus! And also for realisations, even if a trifle belated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with Colleen. Open communication is food for relationships. I never understand individuals who expect their significant others to read their minds. Like Rosemary said, "Thank goodness for Rastus!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's really all about communication, isn't it? So many marriages end because of the lack of it. Wise Rastus!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good old Rastus!
    glad of the happy ending.

    ReplyDelete