Wednesday 28 July 2021

My first real girlfriend

 


In my last year at school there were times when we had freedom to study, play tennis or just use the library to write our essays. I then I found I was not the only one there but Joan, a very attractive who would also be there doing the same. So we chose that time to to chat in the library or in summer play tennis. She was very good at the game but that worried me little as I was more interested in dating her.

When school was over I often found her walking home and found she only lived a short walk from our house. Before long I was invited to meet her mother and if I stayed longer I'd meet her father too.

In summer time we also spent time walking to the town park where we'd find a secluded bench so we could kiss each other. I adored her and soon I was visiting her on weekends to and was invited to have meal with the family too.

As the school year progressed she said she needed to spend more time studying. I too was concerned as my exams were over and one of the schools governors had asked the headmaster if there was a student interested working in architecture. I was informed and took the job eagerly.

We kept in touch for many months but she too managed to get a job...but in London,so our friendship was shattered. This sudden change was the end of our romance. 

Fifty years later we met again on Facebook; both my wife and her husband had now died. I lived in Australia and she in Britain and we happily told of our lives far apart. Sadly just last year her daughter emailed me telling me she too had died.



Image found at www.pinterest.com

6 comments:

  1. Robin, this was interesting. I have tried to find some ex 'friends' from college and my dropout days but nothing shows. I only have tried Google and FB, guess I'm really not that interested. I did meet the little brother, now way older, who we used take fishing with us but mostly spent our time taking fish off his hook and baiting it again. We met at a stop on the freeway in Missouri but didn't talk much about her. She had later ditched me for her life long boy friend.
    Like your situation, my Mrs. Jim was offered as job, a good one in her field, up in New Jersey, so I had to propose to her to keep her with me down in Texas. We've been married 48 years now.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jim, my teenage years were busy with various girlfriends. I even met a Maori girl from New Zealand in England many years ago at Art College before marrying my Englsh wife in 1957. We migrated to Australia in 1966 with our two children and produced another one in 1969.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Various sudden moments in this tale, expected or otherwise. How lovely that you met up – albeit at a distance – later in life, and had many happy exchanges before she too died.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many of our lives are "ships that pass in the night". How nice that you reconnected for a bit. Too bad it couldn't have been more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was good that you were able to reconnect after so many years, even if it was only for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's very sad that your reacquaintance was so short. But good that you found each other again, and made new memories. I bet you spent a lot of time sharing stories...

    ReplyDelete